Temple Chambers was formed in 1977. Its first head of chambers was Richard Mills-Owens, who was appointed Queen's Counsel in 1979 and was conferred with the title of Honorary Life Member of the Hong Kong Bar Association in 2009.
Originally, Temple Chambers was situated in Hang Chong Building at 5 Queen's Road Central (between the present Standard Chartered Bank Building and The Galleria, where the Henley Building now stands). Chambers expanded over the years and in 1988 became one of the first tenants to move into One Pacific Place.
Temple Chambers has a strong tradition of judicial and public appointments, as follows:
• the Hon Mr Justice Ma, Chief Justice of the Court of Final Appeal;
• the Hon Mr Justice Ribeiro and the Hon Mr Justice Fok, both Permanent Judges of the Court of Final Appeal;
• the Hon Madam Justice Yuen and the Hon Mr Justice Barma, both Justices of Appeal;
• the Hon Mr Justice Waung (retired), the Hon Mr Justice Au, the Hon Mr Justice Lam, the Hon Mr Justice Ng, the Hon Mr Justice Chow and the Hon Madam Justice Wong, all judges of the Court of First Instance of the High Court;
• the Hon Mr Justice Reyes, appointed as an international judge of the Singapore International Commercial Court for a three year term beginning 5 January 2015 and, formerly a judge of the Court of First Instance of the High Court in Hong Kong;
• HH Judge Fi-lan Chua (retired) and HH Judge Winnie Tsui of the District Court;
• Michael Thomas SC who was the Attorney-General of Hong Kong from 1983 to 1988, after which he joined Temple Chambers and practised at the Bar until his retirement on 31 December 2013, after which he became an Honorary Life Member of the Hong Kong Bar Association;
• Wong Yan Lung SC who was Secretary for Justice from 2005 to 2012, prior to joining Chambers in 2013; and
•Rimsky K K Yuen SC who was appointed as Secretary for Justice with effect from 1 July 2012.
In addition to judicial and public service, members have also played an active role in the administration of the Bar. Many have been members of the Bar Council (or its predecessor the Bar Committee). Ronny K W Tong SC was Chairman of the Bar in 1999 and 2000, Rimsky K K Yuen SC held the same position in 2007 and 2008, Russell Coleman SC was Chairman in 2009 and 2010 and Paul Shieh SC was Chairman in 2013 and 2014.
Temple Chambers is one of the leading barristers' chambers in Hong Kong. It has over 50 members who advise and act in respect of a broad range of litigation, arbitration and non- contentious matters.
Members of Temple Chambers have been involved in numerous landmark cases over the years.
Barristers within Chambers can be instructed individually or in a team in accordance with the needs of the case.
As well as participating in litigation and arbitration as counsel, members of Chambers also regularly act as Recorders or Deputy Judges in the Courts, as chairmen or members of statutory and other tribunals and as arbitrators. A number of members are also qualified mediators.
Temple Chambers is situated in Pacific Place, Hong Kong, near the High Court.